Online edition of India’s National Newspaper Friday, Aug 18, 200
New Delhi: Outlawed militant group Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL) is suspected to be behind Wednesday’s blast at the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) complex in Imphal, a senior Union Home Ministry official said here on Thursday.
Though none has claimed responsibility for the grenade blast, which claimed four lives and left 66 injured, the hand of this outfit is suspected, he said.
The Meitei militant group, KYKL, which was formed over a decade ago, has been indulging in extortions. It is said to have demanded a hefty amount from the ISKCON’s chief priest.
Refusal to pay led to the lobbing of “Chinese-make hand grenades” when the shrine was teeming with Janmasthami devotees, the official said. Centre in touch with State
He said the Centre was in constant touch with the Manipur Chief Secretary and Director General of Police and reviewing the situation from time to time.
In Imphal Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh visited the injured in the hospital and enquired about their treatment.
Commenting on the security measures, he said it was not possible to provide adequate security to all temples since Janamashtami was being celebrated in all the temples across the State.
“This is our religious function. Not only ISKCON, most of the temples celebrated it. But how can we provide each and every temple adequate security. It’s just not possible,” he said. He said the militants who carried out the attack were yet to be identified but search was on. The Government would foot the entire medical bill of the victims.
“I went to pray along with my children. I did not know what happened. I was standing far behind when the explosion took place in front of me. I was with my four children when something came and hit me on my neck. Afterwards I fell down and was not able to speak,” said Shublata, a victim. — PTI, ANI
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Radhanath Swami“My heart aches for love,” sh...
- By Vikram PatilA devotee from a remote village ...
- By Bhakti-lata Dasi I had fallen away from chan...
- By Satyaraja DasaOur tale goes back to one of t...
- By Damodar Prasad dasThis meditation is conclud...
- By Gauravani dasa Of the late, mantra meditatio...
- By Indradyumna SwamiYesterday, upon my return t...
- By Vaishnava Dasa "Regarding the Christmas Day ...
- By Suvarna Radhika Devi DasiThe highest reason ...
- By Drutakarma Das Cremo states that the book ha...