By Kusha Devi Dasi
All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!
All Glories to Sri Guru and Gouranga!
Dear Prabhus, Prabhvis and Maharaj’s,
Dandavats! Jaya Srila Prabhupada! Srila Prabhupad taught us the most important question of all time is; “What is the duty of a person who is about to die?” Nanda Mataji’s recent passing away here in Vrindavan gifted those of us surrounding her and living in India with a certain practical realization. We understood the need to get out legal documents in order authorizing our bodies to be cremated and dealt with according to our last wishes. Certainly it is not the time to be worrying about filing legal documents or bothering anyone else to do it. We want to peacefully take shelter of Guru, Krishna and Hare Nam.
Pancha Gauda Prabhu immediately encouraged us to get together as a group to register notarized files of our legal documents in the appropriate places to increase the chances of our peaceful passing. This way we will not burden those left behind to take care of the needed details and our last rites can be preformed in a timely manner.
Dr. Avnish of our Vrindavan hospice says we need the following documents:
1) A cover letter (sample will be included)
2) Letter from next of kin (sample included). If no blood relative is there, name a dear friend, temple president or primary caregiver. Include an additional letter of authority nominating that responsible party along with the letter similar to next of kin. (sample will be included)
3) Living will (sample will be included)
4) Copy of necessary legal documents especially the passport, visa, and/or residential permit.
5) One photo per copy.
Four copies should be made and filed with:
1) The appropriate embassy.
2) Your Temple President’s office.
3) Next of kin or responsible party signing your document.
These sample documents will be included for your personalization. Please adjust them to suit your wishes. Then get the necessary signatures including your next of kin and your living will notarized.
We intend to get a group rate to notarize the necessary documents here in Vrindavan and together file them at the necessary embassies Those not able to make the first group can individually send them to your country of origins consulate. Write kushadevidasi@ gmail.com and a sample packet with be sent to you. We will get the first group notarized and filed around Gaur Purnima 2013.
Sincerely, Kusha devi dasi