Feed The 5,000 – Dublin Sat 24th Nov 2012
By Parasuram das
Ireland was known as the “Slaughterhouse of Europe”, due to its meat industry. Is it coincidental that for decades we have lived with war? In the words of George Bernard Shaw:
“We pray on Sundays that we may have light to guide our footsteps on the path we tread. We are sick of war, we don’t want to fight, And yet we gorge ourselves upon the dead”.
So here came an opportunity to attempt to enlighten some poor souls through the distribution of Prasad and the Holy Names. So we filled Tribhuvanath prabhu’s van with devotees and cooking equipment and traveled from London to the Emerald Isle. All the vegetables were donated due to them being “ugly veg”, wrong shape, size or colour. The army came to help with the veg chopping and donated the use of their fridge van – to be honest it was minus 1 outside and 2 degrees warmer in the van, still health and safety rules must be followed.
So we cooked subji, dal with veg, papadum and pickle for 6,000 people, just to make sure we hit the 5,000 target. The Mayor of Dublin came to give a hand, and as always the t.v. and newspapers came out for the action.
Feeding the 5,000 is not a new concept. Back 2,000 years ago Jesus Christ had done it, which reminds me how one person upon seeing our Kirtan party remarked “Oh I am not into foreign religions!” I told him “Was Jesus Irish? Do you know why Jesus didn’t take birth in Ireland? Because he could not find 3 wise men!!!”
We managed to go out on four Hari Namas and as usual we ended up on the “Anti Austerity” demonstration.
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Vyasmuni DasToday on 25th October 2014 at 5:...
- By Vijaya dasa September proved to be a great m...
- By indiatimes.com LONDON: British Prime Ministe...
- By Hari Narayana Das (With 271 photos) Commemor...
- By Indradyumna SwamiToday, October 25, ISKCON d...
- By Bhaktisiddhanta Swami The meanings of Dipava...
- By Tribhuvavatha dasTumultuous preaching by Isk...
- By Lindy Laird Food for Life is one of four gro...
- By Aniruddha Das Yesterday we had the great ple...
- By Tulsi GabbardDiwali Message from Tulsi Gabba...