Devadasa and Bhaktivinoda Thakura
By Brijabasi das
There is some confusion regarding the book “Devadāsa”, which is ascribed to Śrīla Bhaktivinoda Ṭhākura. I’m writing this keeping in mind Śrīla Prabhupāda’s definition of truth: “Although sometimes the truth is unpalatable, one should not refrain from speaking it. Truthfulness demands that the facts be presented as they are for the benefit of others. That is the definition of truth.” (Bhagavad-gītā, 10.4-5, purport). Thus with all humility and for the sake of such truth we should examine if the book was really penned by Ṭhākura Bhaktivinoda since the benefit from reading the words of the great Ācārya cannot be compared to the benefit we may get from any other book.
The story of Devadāsa was published in 1910 by an author named Kedāranātha Datta. If we look in the original bengali edition of the book we may become surprised that this Kedāranātha Datta was not actually the great mahā-bhāgavata Vaiṣṇava ācārya Ṭhākura Bhaktivinoda. The original edition provides some information about the author and the places where the book can be had.
Read the whole text in the embeded document below:
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By radhanathswami.com On the 8th of October, Ra...
- By Mayesvara DasaMany people who seek pleasure ...
- By Madhava Smullen A brand new Devotee Relation...
- By Devaki Devi Dasi As we all know, in these mo...
- By Stephen LaceyTony Kaye (Pratapana Das), 67, ...
- By Bhaktisiddhanta Swami After bathing in Radha...
- By Shyam Sunder Priya DasIt was like any other...
- By Iskcon VizagDue to hud hud cyclone our templ...
- By radhanathswami.com “When we do things on a s...
- By Zachary Feder and Khatera Sahibzada In an ag...