Mayapur Under Flood
By Braja Sevaki devi dasi – fotos by Vrindavana Lila devi dasi
Yesterday we received warning that a dam had been opened upstream and that Mayapur could expect floods by early evening. The incoming water was slower than expected, and at one stage it looked like it wouldn’t go much higher. But today, around lunch time, both Ganga Devi and Jalangi started to flow fast into the compound. It’s confirmed now that actually two dams were opened. So far the water hasn’t entered the temple building, but will likely do so tonight. The rear of the grhasta area is under approx. 3 ft water, near the International School, while the front parts are slowly filling up. There is no land visible — it’s all water. The water at the Maingate is gushing in, despite extensive sandbagging efforts. It’s early evening now and the water is still rising steadily. We will send more news as we can, and some photos in the morning.
Vrindavan Lila devi dasi has a series of images from yesterday tracking the progress; however it’s now 5.30am the following day, and the waters have risen a minimum of 2 ft overnight. In the grhastha area (where I am writing from, and where I’m trapped until my gardener returns with our boat!), the water is around 4- ft high in some parts, though on raised walkways, a rare soul or two has been seen in waist-deep water, possessions on their backs, heading towards the Gada Bldg, where everyone is being evacuated to. I’m sure Vrindavan Lila will update the above gallery link today.
Braja Sevaki dd
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By thehindu.comSinya Ejima, chief representativ...
- By Bernard Wilchusky"Chanting clears the mind; ...
- By Sukhada dasiOn August 23rd, 2014, when the t...
- By Dandadhrk Das We were twenty participants as...
- By Madhava DasShri Manoj Tiwari famous singer, ...
- By Radhanatha Swami Love is not to want peace b...
- By Niranjana Swami My name is Omvati Devi Dasi,...
- By Harideva Dasa “So at the time of death… Of c...
- By Iskcon NairobiThe University Program in Nair...
- By Vaishnavangri Sevaka Das "Oh! Fiftieth ISKCO...