Disappearance of Sripad Bhakti Svarupa Damodara Maharaja
By the GBC Chairman 2006-2007
Please accept our humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
It is with deep regret that we inform you of the disappearance of Sripad Bhakti Svarupa Damodara Maharaja due to a massive cardiac arrest. He passed away around 12:15 am today, Monday, October 2nd, in Calcutta, Srila Prabhupada’s place of birth.
We the members and servants of the Governing Body Commission of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, express our profound bereavement on the passing of our dear Godbrother and fellow Governing Body Commissioner Sri Srimad Bhakti Svarupa Damodara Maharaja, the beloved disciple of ISKCON Founder-Acarya His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.
Srila Prabhupada gave special attention to Sripada Maharaja, even up to his last days in Vrindavana in November of 1977. He would sometimes refer to Sripada Maharaja affectionately as, “Our Dr. Svarupa Damodara” and “our scientist, Svarupa Damaodara”, and there were hours of conversations between Prabhupada and Sripada Maharaja.
Sri Srimad Bhakti Svarupa Damodara Maharaja dedicated his life to fulfilling Srila Prabhupada’s order to spread Krishna consciousness throughout the world especially through the medium of the Bhaktivedanta Institute. Maharaja tirelessly worked to publish literature, develop relationships with leading scientists and organize elaborate conferences that brought the scientific community together to hear the message of Krishna Consciousness in a language they could appreciate. While doing that, he simultaneously established Krishna Consciousness in his native State of Manipur. He spread the glories of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Srila Prabhupada throughout that area. He was always a gentle, humble soul who worked tirelessly in Srila Prabhupada’s service. Even at his advanced age, he was traveling the globe attending conferences, meeting top scientists, preaching at ISKCON temples and program. In this time of their great grief, we pledge ourselves to the service of his disciples and followers who are determined to carry on his great service to the mission of Srila Prabhupada.
Signed (on behalf of the GBC Body),
AC Bhaktivaibhava Swami
GBC Chairman 2006-2007
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon related news on DandavatsTV Channel
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Laxmimoni Devi Dasi If Srila Prabhupada visi...
- By Rasanand Das As conditioned souls within thi...
- By Deva Darshan Das Sharing wisdom and ideas on...
- By Arjuna Krishna dasa Both Rama Laksman prabhu...
- By Indresh DasBhaktimarga Swami was trying to k...
- By Sri Jagannath Mandir The event was even more...
- By Diksha Devi DasiDuring this particular month...
- By Ajit Krishna DasaResponse to the author of “...
- By Murari Gupta DasaI first heard about Bilvama...
- By Ravindra Svarupa dasaThe Sanskrit word bhoga...