Best activity and best vrata for Kartik
Hari-bhakti-vilasa, Sanatana Gosvami
Moreover, for those who hear Visnu-katha in this month, each half verse or quarter of verse yields the fruits of donating one hundred cows; indeed, O great sage, all other duties should be given up in favor of hearing scriptures from holy men. Be it for spiritual benefit or with other expectations, by engaging in Hari-katha one uplifts hundreds of his family’s generations.
A person will burn all sinful reactions and gain the fruit of ten thousand sacrifices for each day of Kartika spent in the delight of the scriptures. In fact, Madhusudana is not as pleased by sacrifices or by charity of cows and elephants as He is pleased by discourses from the scriptures during Kartika.
O eminent sage, by hearing Hari-katha one can transcend the distress accumulated in millions of births. By regularly trying to read Srimad Bhagavatam during this month one gains the benefit of reading all eighteen Puranas. (75-81) Furthermore, during Kartika a man should cultivate supreme devotion by living among Vaisnavas, at the cost of giving up acts of piety and other prescribed duties. (82)
(Skanda Purana, dialogue between Brahma and Narada)
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Nagaraja Dasa The maya of the material world...
- By Radhanath Swami“My heart aches for love,” sh...
- By Vikram PatilA devotee from a remote village ...
- By Bhakti-lata Dasi I had fallen away from chan...
- By Satyaraja DasaOur tale goes back to one of t...
- By Damodar Prasad dasThis meditation is conclud...
- By Gauravani dasa Of the late, mantra meditatio...
- By Indradyumna SwamiYesterday, upon my return t...
- By Vaishnava Dasa "Regarding the Christmas Day ...
- By Suvarna Radhika Devi DasiThe highest reason ...