Wheat and Vraja
By Bhurijana dasa
Hare Krsna. Wheat is a food which has always abundantly grown in the rich soil of Vraja. Krsna Himself was fond of the preparations cooked from Braja wheat, especially because they were soaked in the devotional love unique to Vrindavana. Srimati Radharani would cook with wheat full-moon shaped rotis, laddhus, pies, and cakes and all would be served by Mother Rohini.
Krsna also compared the waving grains in the winter-fields of Vraja to dancing girls, dressed in multicolored clothes.
Lord Brahma also composed prayers in Vraja to glorify Krsna and to seek His forgivenss. Brahma first described his Lord’s beauty, as He stood before him dressed in a yellow dhoti that shimmered as brilliantly as gold. Brahma then glorified the unlimited and unknowable Lord, who neverthelss can be known through hearing about Him. Brahma then declares bhakti as the “best path of self-realization”, comparing other paths, especially the speculative path, to the beating of empty husks of wheat in an attempt to gain grain.
sreyah-srtim bhaktim udasya te vibho klisyanti ye kevala-bodha-labdhaye tesam asau klesala eva sisyate nanyad yatha sthula-tusavaghatinam
My dear Lord, devotional service unto You is the best path for self-realization. If someone gives up that path and engages in the cultivation of speculative knowledge, he will simply undergo a troublesome process and will not achieve his desired result. As a person who beats an empty husk of wheat cannot get grain, one who simply speculates cannot achieve self-realization. His only gain is trouble.
All glories to the wheat grown in the soil Vraja, for it gives pleasure to Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead!
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Bhajahari dasEarlier in the day there was a ...
- By Navasi DasiAs devotees, we talk a lot about ...
- By Krsangi Radhe dasi The exciting new features...
- By Vraja Vilasa dasa Maharaja explained to the ...
- By Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura Learned sages hav...
- By Janakinatha Dasa Every December, the book ma...
- By Nagaraja Dasa The maya of the material world...
- By Radhanath Swami“My heart aches for love,” sh...
- By Vikram PatilA devotee from a remote village ...
- By Bhakti-lata Dasi I had fallen away from chan...