Two Peacocks in Bandiravana
By Bhurijana dasa
Hare Krsna. Two Peacocks in Bandiravana near the end of winter. The have lost their most prominant feathers during the end of rainy season, around Radhastami, and now many have grown back.
Peacocks of course figure prominantly in Krsna’s pastimes. When Krsna plays His divine flute in a valley and becomes surrounded by peacocks. Krsna’s playing makes them dance in ecstacy and stuns the animals who sit atop the hills to watch. This scene is described in Bhag. 10.21.10:
A Vraja Gopi says, “O friend, Vrndavana is spreading the glory of the earth, having obtained the treasure of the lotus feet of Krsna, the son of Devaki. The peacocks dance madly when they hear Govinda’s flute, and when other creatures see them from the hilltops, they all become stunned.”
Sweet comments from our acaryas are noted in our BBT’s Bhagavatam.
“Srila Sridhara Svami explains that because activities such as those described in this verse do not occur in any other world, the earth is unique. In fact, the earth’s glories are being spread by wonderful Vrndavana because it is the place of Krsna’s pastimes.”
“Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura explains krsna-lila as follows: “In Vrndavana, the peacocks request Krsna, ‘Govinda, please make us dance.’ Thus Krsna plays His flute, and they surround Him in a circle and dance in time with the rhythm of His melody. And while standing in the midst of their dancing, He also sings and dances. Then those peacocks, who are fully satisfied with His musical performance, out of gratitude offer for His pleasure their own divine feathers. In the usual manner of musical performers, Krsna gladly accepts these presentations and places a feather upon the turban atop His head. Gentle animals such as deer and doves greatly relish the transcendental entertainment presented by Krsna, and to get a good view they flock to the peaks of hills. Then, as they watch the breathtaking program, they become stunned in ecstasy.”
“Srila Sanatana Gosvami comments that because in Vrndavana Krsna goes barefoot and can thus directly mark the earth with the symbols of His lotus feet, that transcendental land is even more glorious than Vaikuntha, where Visnu wears slippers.”
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Urmila Devi Dasi"No Krsna rituals," my cousi...
- By Vaishanvanghri Sevaka Das “In the above char...
- By Vijaya DasaWSN October 2014 - World Sankirta...
- By Bhajahari dasEarlier in the day there was a ...
- By Navasi DasiAs devotees, we talk a lot about ...
- By Krsangi Radhe dasi The exciting new features...
- By Vraja Vilasa dasa Maharaja explained to the ...
- By Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura Learned sages hav...
- By Janakinatha Dasa Every December, the book ma...
- By Nagaraja Dasa The maya of the material world...