Glory of Fiji
Dr. Gurusmarna Devi Dasi: SRI SRI RADHA DAMODAR TEMPLE ISKCON SIGATOKA FIJI
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS
Founder – Acharya : His Divine Grace A. C . Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
Location : Sigatoka Town, Fiji Islands
Postal Address : P O Box 1020, Sigatoka, Fiji
Telephone :  9973706 Fax :  6500369
Temple President : Gita Kirti D.Dasi
Secretary/Treasurer: Dr.Gurusmarna D.Dasi
15th September 2008
Re : Temple & Residence for Homeless People
Dear respected Well wishers,
We would like to kindly offer you an opportunity of a life time to help us build a Temple and Residence for homeless people in the Town of Sigatoka.
This temple will offer spiritual enlightenment, a cultural center and a place of worship for all races. In the temple facility a pure vegetarian restaurant will cater delicious courses of meal for everyone everyday in a spiritualized environment.
A unique feature is that this temple will be providing accommodation for a hundred homeless persons with free meals. This feature is very important as more and more people are being neglected due to unforeseen reasons and high cost of living and have no other shelter to turn to. Elderly people become neglected and one of our important cultural teachings is to look after the elderly and the underprivileged. Many children are suffering due to financial problems as well as living in rural areas so this temple will provide accommodation in the week days and pay for their education so they do not roam in the streets.
The homeless persons will never again feel neglected or uncared for as they will reside in an atmosphere conducive to spiritual life and will be living in the largest temple and most attractive building in Fiji.
As part of the community service every Sunday mass free food distribution is done in Sigatoka and once the temple is built, it will provide free full course vegetarian meals to everyone everyday.
Situated in a peaceful location and beautiful sea view, this temple will give everyone an opportunity to meditate, worship or simply to enjoy sumptuous meal from the restaurant, away from the hustle of city life, in a relaxed atmosphere.
To make this possible we would like to humbly request you to help us financially. Your kind donations will earn you and your family millions and millions of benefits. We pray that all your spiritual and material desires be fulfilled.
You may contact us on the above address if you wish to help. All donations can be sent to account details listed below
account name:SRI RADHA DAMODAR TEMPLE SIGATOKA
account number: 8612121 ANZ Bank Sigatoka.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Gita Kirti Devi Dasi
PROJECT INFORMATION BELOW
Sri Sri Radha Damodar Temple ISKCON, Sigatoka
1/5/2007 to 1/11/2009
This project will build an opulent four storey temple of Sri Radha Damodar & Residence for Homeless people (Dharmashala) in Sigatoka town
Break down of costs
The Proposed temple of Sri Radha Damodar and Dharmashala is located in Sigatoka Town. It is on one of the highest hilltops in the heart of Sigatoka Town overlooking the river, Melrose bridge and sea. Just 5 minutes walk from the main town, the temple will have a wonderful scenic view, and will be accessible from the main town as well as a private driveway. The temple site is on freehold land.
ISKCON Sigatoka is currently run by two ladies Miss Gita Kirti Dasi and Dr Gurusmarna Dasi from their private residence. They are the pioneers for the project and have dedicated their life in spreading the message of Godhead and helping the public for the benefit of everyone. And building this temple will assist them in doing so. At present, there are weekly Sunday Programs at the centre which has lectures from Srimad Bhagavad Gita , Kirtans, arati and full feast (vegetarian meals for general public). Major festival days such as Ramnavmi, Dipavali, Shiv Ratri, Hanuman Jayanti and Janmasthmi are also celebrated very jubilantly.
International Society for Krishna Consiousness Founder Acarya His Divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada instructed all the followers of ISKCON to establish temples all over the world and that no one should go hungry in the 10 km radius.
The temple’s main objective:
• To help all people discern reality from illusion, spirit from matter, the eternal from the temporary. There will be regular Srimad Bhagavatam classes and devotees residing in the temple will impart knowledge which they have received form disciplic succession
• To offer guidance in the Vedic techniques of spiritual life.
• To preserve and spread the Vedic culture which is the oldest culture.
• To help every living being remember and serve God, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. There will be installation of deity of Sri Radha and Krishna, Ganesh,Shiv Parvati, Sri Sita Ram Lakshman & Hanuman Laksmi Visnu, Sarasvati and worshippers will have opportunity to offer service.
· Full time care for the elderly regardless of race, creed & class who wish to spend the final stages of their life absorbed in Lord Krishna’s service, by hearing kirtans, and taking prasadam (food)
· Education & accommodation for needy children
· Help the poor
· Work & counseling provided for youths ( school dropouts) within the premises
· Free distribution of food everyday
· Helping the flood, Earthquake and other disaster relief victims
· Provide free Counseling services
· Daily worship and arati of Sri Radha Damodar,
· Daily recitation of Srimad Bhagavatam
· Celebration of major festival days such as Ramnavmi and Janmasthmi, Govardhan puja.
· Gurukul (children’s classes where they learn good moral behaviour based on scriptures, dance)
· Funeral rites for any person who dies within the temple
· Enlightening lectures by visiting Gurus and saintly persons
· Multi media projection of spiritual movies
· Special Features
§ Vegetarian Restaurant
§ Religious Gift shop and Book shop
§ Medical clinic (Doctor available 24 hrs free service)
§ Guest rooms
§ Hospice (Dharamshala) which will take care of the terminally ill or the homeless regardless of race, creed, class.
Steps of the project:
•Purchase of the land- (Already completed).
• Bhumi pooja- held in 2006 which was conducted to purify the land.
• Building of front retaining wall as per engineer’s requirement (Already completed)
• Ground breaking ceremony was held on 1st May 2007. The chief guest was the Honorouble Minister for Youth, Sports and Employment Opportunities Mr Lekh Ram Vayeshnoi. Also present was the Mayor of Sigatoka, His Worship Ratu Isikeli Tasere. There were other dignitaries and prominent persons in the community who had come.
.Ground level car park for 20 cars completed and first level for residence under construction.
• Installation of Lord Ananta sesa. This deity was placed in the foundation of the temple. “Lord Ananta-Sesa—an incarnation of the Supreme Lord in the form of His thousand-headed serpent, on which Visnu rests, and who sustains the planets on His hoods. So it is only appropriate that Lord Ananta was installed to support the entire building upon His hoods as this temple is not an ordinary building but is the house of the Lord.
• Construction of temple building- This includes the main temple Hall, the restaurant and the residential quarters.
• Installation of Sri Radha Damodar deities
• Chakra installation on the dome of the temple.
Benefits of Building a temple:
When we give something to Lord Krishna, we never lose. On the other hand, we gain a thousand times more, not only materially but also spiritually.
O devoted one, one who builds a beautiful temple for Lord Narasimha will be freed from all sinful reactions and he will enter the Vaikuntha planets
One who builds, or helps to build a temple of Lord Vishnu becomes liberated along with eight generations of his forefathers.
On building a temple for Sri Krishna one can attain the eternal Vaikunthaloka.
A person who builds a temple of Sri Vishnu will get the same results as performing the Rajasuya Yajna and Ashvameda Yajna. O best of the brahmanas, as many atoms are there in the temple so built, for so many thousands of years will he be able to reside in the heavenly planets.
Just by starting the construction of a temple for Lord Krishna, sins committed in seven births will be wiped out and one will deliver his forefathers who are suffering in the hellish planets.
Whoever constructs or helps to construct a Vishnu temple will protect eight generations of fathers, grandfathers and forefathers from falling into hell.
By installing the Deity of the Lord one becomes king of the entire earth, by building a temple for the Lord one becomes ruler of the three worlds, by worshiping and serving the Deity one goes to the planet of Lord Brahma, and by performing all three of these activities one achieves a transcendental form like My own. But one who simply engages in devotional service with no consideration of fruitive results attains Me. Thus whoever worships Me according to the process I have described will ultimately attain pure devotional service unto Me.
Additional information: Srila Prabhupada wanted all ISKCON temples to be financially independent, and so the donations for the temple will come from the community. By this, everyone will have opportunity in contributing to this opulent temple of Lord Krishna and derive so much benefit.
This project will take 2 years to complete:
Land and Development $ 200,000
Almost half an acre freehold hilltop land in Sigatoka Town was acquired in 2005 by Dr. Gurusmarna Devi Dasi and Gita Kirti Devi Dasi which they donated to ISKCON Sigatoka in 2006. Further development was needed to prepare the plot for construction, drainage and landscaping.
Temple Building $ 2,571,800
*Excavation works: $150,500.
*Concrete Works: $600,000.
*Reinforcement Steel: $500,000.
*Block Works: $200,800.
*Plaster Works: $100,700.
*Tiling works: $120,000.
*Painting Works: $100,000.
The building will consist of four levels –
Ground Level – Car Park for 20 cars and doctors clinic.
First Level – Tamal Krishna Goswami Ashram which will have two separate dormitories for at least 50 male and 50 female , visiting priest room, life members room, presidents quarters and a reception area.
Second Level – Hall, large kitchen for deities (Lord) & restaurant, restaurant, gift shop, stage and storage room.
Third Level – Altar for Deity, small deity kitchen, dressing room, museum and a large prayer hall.
Deities (Murti) $ 100,000
There will be only one set of deities and one main altar. Sri Sri Radha and Krishna will be the presiding deities. On the walls of the temple hall, dioramas (murtis) of Sri Sita Ram Lakshman Hanuman, Panca Tattva, Ganesh, Lord Shiva & Parvati and other demigods will be mounted. Srila Prabhupada’s (ISKCON’s Founder Acarya) life size murti (already sponsored by Bhaja Govinda Das from Sydney) will also be installed.
Simhasana(Altar) $ 35,000
One elegant and beautiful simhasana will be hand-carved in Mumbai, India for Their Lordships. A Vyasa asana for Srila Prabhupada will be constructed in a simhasana style. Tables for Tulasi arati, Guru puja and Their Lordships arati will also be hand-crafted.
Deities Dress & Paraphernalia $ 60,000
Deities in our temples are worshipped according to the standards of Narada Pancaratra. Daily puja of the deities will include – 5 aratis, 5 bhoga offerings, day dressing and night dressing etc. Therefore, before the opening of the temple, at least 7 day dresses and 7 night dresses have to be made for the deities that will be installed in the new temple.
Paraphernalia will also include deity jewellery and decorations as well as puja utensils etc.
Lights/ Electrical Works– Beautiful chandeliers will adorn the temple hall $220,000
Kalash and cakra $ 7,000
There will be a large dome over the deity room roof and a large gold plated Kalash and Cakra will be installed atop this. Darshan of the Cakra, even from a far away distant place is equivalent to taking darshan of Their Lordships in the temple.
Kitchen $ 80,000
Since there will be food offerings everyday to Their Lordships, a well equipped kitchen has to be maintained to enable uninterrupted service to continue. Daily food for 100 people will also be prepared in this kitchen. For the future maintenance and smooth running of the temple, a Restaurant will be set up to generate income so another kitchen is needed to cater this project.
Sound System/Security System $ 15,000
There will be daily morning Bhagavat Katha and evening Bhagavad Gita classes held for everyone who wishes to attend. Kirtans and bhajans will continue during the daytime. There will also be regular public festivals celebrated at the temple and thus a suitable public address system and security personal & alarm system will be required.
Architects Fees $ 60,000
To oversee that the project meets the required City Council Building standards and Occupational health and safety standards, an architect has been hired.
Contingencies $ 50,000
A contingency amount of $ 50,000 has been kept to meet any contingent expense that may come up during the course of the project.
Retaining Wall $250,000
Temple dome – $ 300,000
Rajasthani Windows – $ 200,000
Doors & Gates – $180,000
Furniture – $ 100,000
Joinery Works(inside/outside) – $ 280,000
Total Cost $4,708,800
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon related news on DandavatsTV Channel
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Laxmimoni Devi Dasi If Srila Prabhupada visi...
- By Rasanand Das As conditioned souls within thi...
- By Deva Darshan Das Sharing wisdom and ideas on...
- By Arjuna Krishna dasa Both Rama Laksman prabhu...
- By Indresh DasBhaktimarga Swami was trying to k...
- By Sri Jagannath Mandir The event was even more...
- By Diksha Devi DasiDuring this particular month...
- By Ajit Krishna DasaResponse to the author of “...
- By Murari Gupta DasaI first heard about Bilvama...
- By Ravindra Svarupa dasaThe Sanskrit word bhoga...