Jusaniya dasi: Dear Devotees,
We are pleased to announce our next hospice seminar.
Date: Saturday, July 11, 2009 Where: Within the beautiful setting of the Gita nagari farm community in Port Royal, Pennsylvania, home of Sri Sri Radha Damodara.
Sangita devi dasi, RN, Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) and Certified Hospice Educator, will be the main speaker. Kaulini devi dasi, on the Vaisnavas C. A. R. E. Board of Directors, will share her personal experiences as a caregiver to the dying devotees. Bhagavatananda dasa, pujari at the Philadelphia and New York temples, will share his realizations and experiences as a Vaisnavas C. A. R. E. volunteer.
This newly revised seminar has been very successful in teaching the basics of caring for a terminally ill devotee or family member. It has inspired temples, such as ISKCON Philadelphia and ISKCON Houston, to form local “Vaisnavas Care Teams” who are able to provide emotional and spiritual care to terminally ill devotees. In addition, our teams reach out to hospitalized and acutely/chronically ill congregational members in their area.
Seminar subjects include:
* Brief history of the hospice movement and how it relates to Krsna consciousness
* What is holistic care?
* The importance of having a Living Will
* The Dying Devotee’s Bill of Rights
* Experiencing a Terminal Illness
* Spiritual Pain and how we can help as caregivers
* Anticipatory Grief for the patient and family members
* The Five Stages of Dying, includes “role play” exercise
* Communicating with one who is dying (and what NOT to say)
Part One –
11 a. m. -12:30 p. m.
Lunch Break–12:30 - 1:15 p. m. (Prasadam provided)
Part Two –1:15–3:15 p. m.
Workbooks, lunch prasadam, drinks, and snacks will be included. This seminar is free of charge, but donations are always welcome. Certificates of Completion will be awarded to those who complete the entire seminar.
Please RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!