Monk walks around Fiji
By Geraldine Panapasa
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Right: Bhaktimarga Swami walks along the road at Waila in Nausori as he continues his journey around the world on foot.
HARE Krishna monk Bhaktimarga Swami is on a personal mission and it involves walking up to thousands of kilometres around Fiji.
The Canadian national, who is also known as John Vis, started his journey from Toorak in Suva last week to Nadera and plans to continue his journey from Nausori to Navua.
“The walk is to inspire and encourage people to revert to pilgrimage lifestyle care free and car-free,” he said.
“This is not my first trek around a country. I walked around Canada three times covering 7800 kilometres the first time.
“I’ve also trekked around Ireland and Guyana but this is the first time for me to come to Fiji for this reflective walk.”
Bhaktimarga Swami is based in Toronto and says he is used to walking an average of 40 kilometres a day. He said walking has traditional roots that date back to years when monks used to go out for walks to reflect on their inner spirit. “Walking is not just a health tip, it’s enriching inside. While walking, I continue with mantra meditation, chanting this mantra all the way. My intention is not to get too caught up in this world of machinery”
Bhaktimarga Swami hopes to complete his walk in a week.
He hopes. Along the way, I get to meet people and I get inspired by them also on my journey.”
His aim is to walk from Suva to Lautoka, Vanua Levu and Taveuni.
He will be accompanied by Hare Krishna followers.
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By thehindu.comSinya Ejima, chief representativ...
- By Bernard Wilchusky"Chanting clears the mind; ...
- By Sukhada dasiOn August 23rd, 2014, when the t...
- By Dandadhrk Das We were twenty participants as...
- By Madhava DasShri Manoj Tiwari famous singer, ...
- By Radhanatha Swami Love is not to want peace b...
- By Niranjana Swami My name is Omvati Devi Dasi,...
- By Harideva Dasa “So at the time of death… Of c...
- By Iskcon NairobiThe University Program in Nair...
- By Vaishnavangri Sevaka Das "Oh! Fiftieth ISKCO...