Devotees Have No Ambition
From – Srila Prabhupada Uvaca – Confessions of Your Personal Servant, Srutakirti dasa, aka “Sruto”
Srila Prabhupada was sitting in his garden with the parents of a young devotee. Having landscaped the garden for Prabhupada, they had the good fortune to have pleased His Divine Grace.
Kirtanananda Maharaja and I were also present.
“A devotee is very proud to be Krishna’s servant,” Srila Prabhupada said. “A devotee has that pride. We are not ashamed that we are Krishna’s servants.”
Then speaking directly to the parents, Srila Prabhupada said, “Your son is a very nice boy and a good devotee.”
They were very pleased by the sweet words of His Divine Grace, but stated,
“The devotees don’t seem very ambitious.”
“That is right,” Srila Prabhupada said.
“A devotee has no ambition. He simply wants to do some humble service for Krishna. He is not trying to do anything big. A devotee is not ambitious. We have no ambition.”
Seeing the parent’s discomfort, Kirtanananda Maharaja quickly added,
“What Prabhupada means to say is that the devotees have no material ambition.”
“No! Srila Prabhupada replied. We have no ambition. The devotee is not at all ambitious. We just want to serve Krishna.”
Srila Prabhupada always knew the exact point he was making, even if others didn’t. Sometimes disciples would try to interpret Srila Prabhupada’s statements, thinking that cultural differences prevented his guests from understanding Srila Prabhupada.
Knowing the exalted position of our beloved Srila Prabhupada, one can appreciate that His Divine Grace knew who he was dealing with, what they meant and exactly what he wanted them to understand. Srila Prabhupada never compromised the philosophy to please anyone. He always spoke the absolute truth!
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Lalitanatha dasa To this day, almost fort...
- By Gunacuda Dasi In his purport to Srimad Bhaga...
- By Jaganmohini Devi DasiOn Nov. 28th, 2014, dis...
- By Radha Jivan DasAn initiated devotee of ISKCO...
- By Tribhuvanatha DasaDuring the Ratha yatra fes...
- By Urmila Devi Dasi"No Krsna rituals," my cousi...
- By Vaishanvanghri Sevaka Das “In the above char...
- By Vijaya DasaWSN October 2014 - World Sankirta...
- By Bhajahari dasEarlier in the day there was a ...
- By Navasi DasiAs devotees, we talk a lot about ...