Barak Obama gets Bhagavata Gita!
By Dhruvananda Dasa
Recently I visited my hometown of Murwillumbah, situated in the Tweed valley area of northern New South Wales Australia, near to New Govardhana farm where I had the great fortune of spending my childhood.
One of my old best friends hung him self so I took lots of books and prasadam for his family. I regret that I didn’t do more for him earlier.
While in the area I visited a Prabhupada disciple by the name of Krsna Lolya Mataji. Her and her husband travelled a lot helping start temples in U. S. A, Hawaii & Australia. It was the first time I had seen her in 10 yrs. I entered her house and found her making glass beaded necklaces for the deities in Alachua and she relayed this story to me.
She told me that her family grew up on the same street as Barak Obama.
Her brother has been a friend of his ever since. When they where all teenagers they would go to the local Hare Krsna Temple and Barak came a few times and really enjoyed the kirtan and Prasadam.
She explained that when Obama was running for President she thought that she should try to give him a Bhagavata gita. So she ordered the best copy she could and hand made a real nice cover for it and sent it to her brother in the U. S. A to give to him personally.
She said that on the day of Obama’s coronation he received a mountain of gifts. I was thinking, “Oh no, it would have been lost in the pile.” But she told me her brother waited till the next day when things had quieted down some what and personally handed him Bhagavag gita As It is, in its beautiful hand made cover case.
She prays that it is close to him. Maybe its even in the white house now.
(formerly uddhava dasa gurukuli)
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Vraja Vilasa dasa Maharaja explained to the ...
- By Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura Learned sages hav...
- By Janakinatha Dasa Every December, the book ma...
- By Nagaraja Dasa The maya of the material world...
- By Radhanath Swami“My heart aches for love,” sh...
- By Vikram PatilA devotee from a remote village ...
- By Bhakti-lata Dasi I had fallen away from chan...
- By Satyaraja DasaOur tale goes back to one of t...
- By Damodar Prasad dasThis meditation is conclud...
- By Gauravani dasa Of the late, mantra meditatio...