29th annual Jagannath Rathayatra mahotsav @ Baroda, Gujarat
Basu Ghosh Das: On the auspicious day of Aashadh shukla dvitiya, (that this year falls on Tuesday July 13, 2010) ISKCON Baroda is organizing it’s 29th annual Jagannath Rathayatra mahotsav .
The Rathayatra begins at Baroda Railway Station, as per local tradition, at
The special features of this Rathayatra:
1. Huge public response. Thousands line the streets throughout the route of the Rathayatra and make carry offerings and “arati thalis” onto the cart, to Their Lordships. The entire city anticipates the festival for days in advance.
2. Fifteen tons of halava prasad distributed to one and all from trucks behind the Rath. All of this prasad is cooked in pure “deshi ghee”! (Ghee alone costs Rs. four lakhs!)
3. Senior devotee participation in the festival. HH Bhakti Vinoda Swami
(Zonal Secretary Western Tamil Nadu & Kerala/TP Coimbatore), Sriman Bhima Das (Zonal Secretary for Juhu/Maharashtra/BBT), Sriman Jasomatinandan Das,
(Zonal Secretary for Gujarat/BBT), Sriman Sabhapati Das (ACBSP/Australia), Sriman Sarvopama Das (ACBSP) have confirmed their participation in the Rathayatra.
Sarvabhauma Das (all-India famous TV speaker) from ISKCON Vrindavan, Surapati Das and Radharanjan Das, co-TPs ISKCON Lucknow, Bhaktivinode Das, co-TP Chandigarh, Satchidananda Das, TP Vallabh Vidyanagar, Murlimohan Das, Co-TP ISKCON Vijayawada.
A large group of (eighty five) congregational devotees from Damodar Desh
(Dubai) will attend Baroda Rathayatra. Thereafter, along with HH Bhakti Vinoda Swami and Sarvabhauma Prabhu they proceed for Dakor (Ranchorji) Dwaraka/Somnath/Nathadwara yatra.
4. Large group of devotees performing Harinam Sankirtan from the beginning of the Rathayatra at 2:30 PM until it’s conclusion at 7:30 PM, throughout the procession, along with thousands of members of the public, who anticipate having darshan of Their Lorships Rath, all along the route.
5. Horse carts (“buggies”) carrying children dressed as Lord Krishna, Radharani, Lord Rama, Hanuman, etc., Horses, Two Brass Bands, Bullock carts with bhajan groups, all moving infront of the Rath Cart create a festive atmosphere throughout the city.
6. Distribution of “bhojan prasad” (full meals) to 40,000 members of the public at the temple after the conclusion of Rathayatra.
Also, on Monday, July 12, 2010, at 2:30 PM there will be Jagannath Rathayatra mahotsav at Anand (of “Amul” butter fame), 40 kilometers North of Baroda, that will be attended by ISKCON Baroda devotees, H. H. Bhakti Vikas Swami, H. H. Bhakti Vinoda Swami, Jasomatinandan Prabhu and others.
Jagannath Rathayatra Mahotsav ki jay!
Jagannath Swami ki jay!