Food for Life Tsunami relief in Japan – Week 2
April 24, 2011, Miyagi, Japan — Food for Life Global affiliate FFL Japan provided over 1000 kgs of fresh fruits and vegetables on Sunday to shelters in Wataricho Shiyakysho in the Miyagi-ken district.
To make the food a special offering to the people of Miyagi, on Saturday, the volunteers first unloaded the produce in front of the ISKCON Cultural Centre altar and offered prayers so that the food would be blessed and purified. “We call this high energy food,” said temple president, Naganatana Das. “By doing this the food becomes nourishing for body, mind and soul, he explained.” The 1000 kgs of produce was then loaded back onto the truck in preparation for the long 5 hour drive the following morning. Mr. Fujita-san and Mr. Murata-San arose early in the morning to drive the produce to the shelters passing by the edge of the radiation zone along the way.
FFL Director for Japan, Shrikant Shah, talks about the food distribution.
Week 3 Plans
“We plan to provide cooked meals for 726 people at two of the shelters when we go next Sunday,” said FFL Global director for Japan, Shrikant Shah. “Our aim is to continue this effort for the next 6 weeks and hopefully beyond,” he explained.
The task of acquiring so much produce, purifying it and then making the long treck to Miyagi every Sunday is a huge task for this small group of volunteers. Food for Life Japan is a very small NGO with only a handfull of fulltime volunteers. “Most of the help is coming from members of the Indian business community who are donating money and their valuable time to keep the effort going,” said Volunteer coordinator Madhu Mangala Das. “Even their children are getting involved.”
Last Sundays efforts were supported by donations from Food for Life Global, as well as the following individuals and companies:
- L&T Infotech provided various miscellaneous items including: 50 Safety Goggles, 308 face masks, 600 spoons, forks, plates, as well snack bars, biscuits, and candy for children.
- Mr. Vishal Bulbule ( Kojimacho, Nishi-Kasai ) 10,000 JPY
- Mr. Sujatha Mohan ( Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, ) 10,000 PY
- Mr. Srinivas Palepu ( San Jose, USA ) 50,000 JPY
- Mr. Avinash Wagh ( Ojima ) 10,000 JPY
- Mr. Rohan Agarwal 10,000 JPY
- Mr. Anup Agarwal 10,000 JPY
- Mr. Shrikant Shah 10,000 JPY
- Mr. Junsako Nakamura-San 5,000 JPY
- Mr. Tomoko Tarumi-San 5,000 JPY
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
An enormous effort is involved in procuring, preparing, and distributing the food. Food for Life Japan is appealing for help with shopping, packing, cutting vegetables, cooking, and cleaning, as well as donations in kind and/or cash. Local volunteer, Sanjiv Keswani made an appeal on behalf of the survivors, “Although many people have come forward to help FFL Japan, we still need a lot more support to continue. Please spread the word, but more importantly, please pray for the affected. Sincere prayers are mightier than the greatest Tsunami and will always help,” he pleaded.
WHERE CAN YOU SEND YOUR OFFERING?
Donations of produce or personal supplies may be delivered at the ISKCON Temple in Funabori, Japan.
(ISKCON New Gaya Japan) 2-23-4 Funabori,
Edogawa-ku, Tokyo – 134-0091
Mobile: 080-5412-2528, 080-5405-8977, 080-3753-5097
- Donate directly to Food for Life Japan
- Donate through Food for Life Global – Emergency Fund (tax deductible with the USA)
Donate to the Food for Life Global emergency fund to help FFLG coordinate disaster relief when the need arises. We are currently sending all emergency donations to Japan.
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By thehindu.comSinya Ejima, chief representativ...
- By Bernard Wilchusky"Chanting clears the mind; ...
- By Sukhada dasiOn August 23rd, 2014, when the t...
- By Dandadhrk Das We were twenty participants as...
- By Madhava DasShri Manoj Tiwari famous singer, ...
- By Radhanatha Swami Love is not to want peace b...
- By Niranjana Swami My name is Omvati Devi Dasi,...
- By Harideva Dasa “So at the time of death… Of c...
- By Iskcon NairobiThe University Program in Nair...
- By Vaishnavangri Sevaka Das "Oh! Fiftieth ISKCO...