An update on prasadam distribution in London
Parasuram das: Westminster Council are trying to pass a law that would criminalise homeless people sleeping rough, and also criminalise the charities that feed them. There was a lot of opposition from various charities, including ourselves. As factually it would be a law preventing people from doing goodwill or religious obligations/duty. The council have been forced to put it on the back burner for the time being.
One of the locations where Food For All distributes since 1990 has come under fire and the council and ourselves disagreed over it. We knew we had the moral high ground and with the support of the students we managed to find ourselves in many newspapers, even front pages. The council picked a bad time to hassle us as they recently cut the funding for almost all the day centres including our own. Homelessness is really on the up now and there are so many refugees in London who are not entitled to any benefits. So we are still battling it out, and still managing to keep Matchless Gifts open and still cook 900 free meals daily.
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Vraja Vilasa dasa Maharaja explained to the ...
- By Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura Learned sages hav...
- By Janakinatha Dasa Every December, the book ma...
- By Nagaraja Dasa The maya of the material world...
- By Radhanath Swami“My heart aches for love,” sh...
- By Vikram PatilA devotee from a remote village ...
- By Bhakti-lata Dasi I had fallen away from chan...
- By Satyaraja DasaOur tale goes back to one of t...
- By Damodar Prasad dasThis meditation is conclud...
- By Gauravani dasa Of the late, mantra meditatio...