Comments Posted By Lokaguru das
Displaying 1 To 3 Of 3 Comments
Constitution Of Association
Dear Prabhus, dandavats and pranams. It is with interest that we read the recent article about an ISKCON constitution. There is no real need for anyone to make up a new one. Srila Prabhupada wrote one already. It can be found on pages 154-155 of “The Beginning,” the l966 New York Journal of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Founder-Acarya for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
“The Beginning” was published by The Bhaktivedanta Archives, Copyright The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, l996, from diaries that are owned and held by Bali Mardan prabhu and other original documents. Bali Mardan Prabhu, a life trustee of the Bhaktivedanta Book Trust lent the archives his source material with my encouragement for re production. They have printed Srila Prabhupada’s diaries in two very nice books,”The Beginning” and “The Jaladuta Diary” which you can get from : The Bhaktivedanta Archives P.O. Box 255 Sandy Ridge, NC 27046 Phone (910) 871-3636
Here is a true copy of the aforementioned Constitution:
CONSTITUTION OF ASSOCIATION
1. The name of the society is the International Society for Krishna- Consciousness.
2. The headquarters of the Soceity are located at Radhakrishna Temple, 26 Second Avenue, New York City, 10003, USA.
3. The objectives for which the Society is being established are: (A) To educate the greater human society in the techniques for spiritual life as the basis for a balanced psychic and biological development, and thereby achieve for the first time in human society a real peace and unity among the contending forces in the world today.
(B) To propagate the Sense of Godhead, the all attractive Personality of primal and eternal Form, as He Himself revealed in His own words in the Bhagavad-gita, The Holy Scripture of the Lord Sri Krishna, the Godhead.
(C) To bring together individuals in a Society, regardless of national- ity and irrespective of creed or caste, in order to develop a nearness to the Godhead and thereby the idea that within the members and humanity-at-large there is an infinitesmal soul-spirit that is part and parcel in quality with the Godhead, the Supreme Soul.
(D) To encourage the teachings of Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who demonstrated practically the transcendental process of approaching the absolute Personality of Godhead by His acts of congregational chanting of the holy name of God, a process known as Samkirtan.
(E) To prove by active work and preaching that Lord Sri Krishna is the only enjoyer of all the outcomes of individual and collective sacrifice, penance, meditation, arts, culture, sciences, because He is the Supreme Proprietor of the whole universe, eternally apart of Him eveyone knows Him as a friend. Real peace can be attained when this is realized, in fact.
(F) To assist whenever and wherever possible in the buidling of a social structure on the real foundation of spiritual progress and es- tablishment of peace and unity between men throughout the world.
(G) to attempt to save men individually from the chain of victimization the ongoing trend in modern civilization operates by, in the name of ideologies of false sentiment, so that man may again be a free soul, to act and live freely with spiritual vision. This is possible by individual spiritual initiation, Diksha, when a man can see everything in Godhead and Godhead in everything.
(H) To further toward realization this highest truth as revealed by Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and the six Goswamins headed by Srila Rupa and Santana Goswamins.
(I) To have for its objective amongst the others four principles which the Goswamins had in view. They are the following: 1. To erect a holy place of transcendental pastimes as well as a place where members of the Lord Sri Krishna can flourish.
2. To propagate all over the world in the form of missionaries the process of devotion, the transcendental service to the Godhead, and to make known that this devotional service is the main function of the human being.
3. In order to accomplish this, to adopt proselytizing methods of peaceful means and to establish a broader society of association for all members, including scholars and admirers, to engage in this service as put forth in the Srimad Bhagwatam.
4. To install, wherever it is possible, the worship and temple of Radhakrishna and that of Sri Chaitanya, and to give facility to everyone to become trained in the modes of Archan or preparatory principles of devotional service.
(J) To introduce to the members of the Society and humanity-at-large a simpler and more natural purpose in life by means suitable to the particular place and time, and as enjoined in the Bhagavad Gita.
(K) To organize educational programs, such as classes and lecture tours, and to institute services, such as mailing, for the benefit of the members of the Society and humanity-at-large.
(L) To publish periodicals, books and/or pamphlets in all important languages in order to reach human society and give an oportunity to same to communicate with the Society.
(M) To invoke the quality of goodness particularly in every member of the Society, individually by the process of Diksha and by establishing one in the status of a Brahmin (good and intelligent man) on the basis of truthfulness, knowledge and faith in the transcendental service of the Lord.
(N) Among the secondary objectives of the Society, it shall undertake the following activities:
1. To revive the scientific system of social orders of classification based on intellligence, martial spirit, productivity and commmon assis- tance, generally known as the four castes with reference to quality and worth for the common cause of world society.
2. To discharge as a matter of coures the vitiated system of supremacy of one man over another by false prestige of birthright or vested interests.
(*Note from Puru Das Adhikari – Please don’t misunderstand “2.” The New Webster’s Dictionary defines discharge -.to unload, to discharge cargo,to absolve, free oneself from, to release (am arrow or bullet) to rid of an electrical charge, to dismiss etc. . . . vitiated- spoiled ., made defective, corrupted (morals or taste), invalidated or made wholly or partly ineffective.)
3. To popularize the vegetable-grain diet under approved methods in order that full value of protein, carbohydrate, fat and vitamin benefit may be derived therefrom.
4. To discourage intoxication or addicting habits of all descriptions and dimensions and to expose such persons thus afflicted to approved methods of spiritual realization.
This document is signed by:
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami – Acharya Raymond Marais Michael A. Grant Robet Lefkowitz James S. Greene
I let this wonderful piece of writing speak for itself.
Om Tat Sat.
Your servant, Puru Das Adhikari Curator of The Bhaktivedanta Memorial
» Posted By Lokaguru das On Jul 30, 2007 @ 5:02 pm
Dear prabhu, Dandavats. The most important question to ask is: did Srila Prabhupada actually name Those Deities? I’ve never seen any thing in writing that speaks to this point. My understanding is that in LA, Srila Prabhupada actually named Their Lordships Sri Sri Radha Krsna. Some other devotees chose to call Them Sri Sri Rukmini Dvarakadisha, because LA was the most opulent temple in the movement at that time. The thinking was that Dvaraka is far more opulent than Vrndavana. Evidently those names stuck. Maybe some prabhus can shed some light on this question. Ys, Lokaguru das
» Posted By Lokaguru das On May 23, 2007 @ 5:40 pm
«« Back To Stats Page
Dear Romapada Svami, Dandavats. AGTSP. In July, 1976 in Wash, DC during a Q&A after the morning class, a devotee asked Srila Prabhupada what percentage of the population were devotees and what percentage were demonic. Srila Prabhupada replied that 10% were devotees , 10% were demons, and the remainder were innocent and could be swayed either way. From His answer comes Srila Prabhupada’s mission and hence our mission. We should “always” chant the Holy names of Krsna “offenselessly” and “under the direction of a spiritual master”, ideally an “uttama adhikari spiritual master”. We should also “teach everyone as far as possible the same principle” and by “following these instructions of Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu” we will become “sucessful in advancing in Krsna Consciousness”. NOI 5(purport): “…In this verse Srila Rüpa Gosvämi advises the devotee to be intelligent enough to distinguish between the kanistha-adhikäri, madhyama-adhikäri and uttama-adhikäri. The devotee should also know his own position and should not try to imitate a devotee situated on a higher platform. Srila Bhaktivinoda Thäkura has given some practical hints to the effect that an uttama-adhikäri Vaisnava can be recognized by his ability to convert many fallen souls to Vaisnavism. One should not become a spiritual master unless he has attained the platform of uttama-adhikäri. A neophyte Vaisñava or a Vaisñava situated on the intermediate platform can also accept disciples, but such disciples must be on the same platform, and it should be understood that they cannot advance very well toward the ultimate goal of life under his insufficient guidance. Therefore a disciple should be careful to accept an uttama-adhikäri as a spiritual master.” ; CC Madya 7.127-129: (127) “Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu replied, “Don’t speak like that again. Better to remain at home and chant the holy name of Krsña always.
It is not advisable in this Age of Kali to leave one’s family suddenly, for people are not trained as proper brahmacäriés and grhasthas. Therefore Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu advised the brähmana not to be too eager to give up family life. It would be better to remain with his family and try to become purified by chanting the Hare Krsña mahä-mantra regularly under the direction of a spiritual master. This is the instruction of Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu. If this principle is followed by everyone, there is no need to accept sannyäsa. In the next verse Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu advises everyone to become an ideal householder by offenselessly chanting the Hare Krsña mantra and teaching the same principle to everyone he meets.;
(128) “Instruct everyone to follow the orders of Lord Sri Krsña as they are given in the Bhagavad-gitä and Srimad-Bhägavatam. In this way become a spiritual master and try to liberate everyone in this land.”
This is the sublime mission of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. Many people come and inquire whether they have to give up family life to join the Society, but that is not our mission. One can remain comfortably in his residence. We simply request everyone to chant the mahä-mantra: Hare Krsña, Hare Krsña, Krsña Krsña, Hare Hare Hare Räma, Hare Räma, Räma Räma, Hare Hare. If one is a little literate and can read the Bhagavad-gitä As It Is and Srimad-Bhägavatam, that is so much the better. These works are now available in an English translation and are done very authoritatively to appeal to all classes of men. Instead of living engrossed in material activities, people throughout the world should take advantage of this movement and chant the Hare Krsña mahä-mantra at home with their families. One should also refrain from sinful activities-illicit sex, meat-eating, gambling and intoxication. Out of these four items, illicit sex is very sinful. Every person must get married. Every woman especially must get married. If the women outnumber the men, some men can accept more than one wife. In that way there will be no prostitution in society. If men can marry more than one wife, illicit sex life will be stopped. One can also produce many nice preparations to offer Krsña-grain, fruit, flowers and milk. Why should one indulge in unnecessary meat-eating and maintain horrible slaughterhouses? What is the use of smoking and drinking tea and coffee? People are already intoxicated by material enjoyment, and if they indulge in further intoxication, what chance is there for self-realization? Similarly, one should not partake in gambling and unnecessarily agitate the mind. The real purpose of human life is to attain the spiritual platform and return to Godhead. That is the summum bonum of spiritual realization. The Krsña consciousness movement is trying to elevate human society to the perfection of life by pursuing the method described by Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu in His advice to the brähmana Kürma. That is, one should stay at home, chant the Hare Krsña mantra and preach the instructions of Krsña as they are given in the Bhagavad-gitä and Srimad-Bhägavatam.
(129) Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu further advised the brähmana Kürma, “If you follow this instruction, your materialistic life at home will not obstruct your spiritual advancement. Indeed, if you follow these regulative principles, we will again meet here, or, rather, you will never lose My company.”
This is an opportunity for everyone. If one simply follows the instructions of Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu, under the guidance of His representative, and chants the Hare Krsña mantra, teaching everyone as far as possible the same principle, the contamination of the materialistic way of life will not even touch him. It does not matter whether one lives in a holy place like Vrndävana, Navadvipa, or Jagannätha Puri or in the midst of European cities, where the materialistic way of life is very prominent. If a devotee follows the instructions of Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu, he lives in the company of the Lord. Wherever he lives, he converts that place into Vrndävana and Navadvipa. This means that materialism cannot touch him. This is the secret of success for one advancing in Krsña consciousness.”
Your fallen servant, Lokaguru das
» Posted By Lokaguru das On May 7, 2007 @ 6:15 am
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon related news on DandavatsTV Channel
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Laxmimoni Devi Dasi If Srila Prabhupada visi...
- By Rasanand Das As conditioned souls within thi...
- By Deva Darshan Das Sharing wisdom and ideas on...
- By Arjuna Krishna dasa Both Rama Laksman prabhu...
- By Indresh DasBhaktimarga Swami was trying to k...
- By Sri Jagannath Mandir The event was even more...
- By Diksha Devi DasiDuring this particular month...
- By Ajit Krishna DasaResponse to the author of “...
- By Murari Gupta DasaI first heard about Bilvama...
- By Ravindra Svarupa dasaThe Sanskrit word bhoga...