Comments Posted By sdgdisc
Displaying 1 To 1 Of 1 Comments
«« Back To Stats Page
Yesterday I attended a class given by Srimati Uma devi dasi (aka Uma Didi). She is 78 years old, a disciple of Srila Vamana Maharaja, who is a disciple of Srila Prabhupada’s sannyasa guru, Srila Kesava Maharaja. She has lived in a Gaudiya Math her whole life. She is a Sanskrit scholar and travels the world to preach. She is Bengali by birth, upbringing and culture. Our Gaudiya Vaisnava culture regarding women can be best understood from women who are born before the last twenty years, and are both Bengali by culture and Vaisnavis by their spiritual life. Otherwise, we Westerners can speculate without basis from sastra, Srila Prabhupada, or tradition, as to what is stri dharma, and how women can preach. Or we can look at those who know, who have it in their blood, and who live it. If we look back hundreds of years to Bengali Vaisnava culture, we do find women preachers–both married and renounced (either lifetime renounced or renounced after the grhastha ashrama).
» Posted By sdgdisc On May 23, 2011 @ 10:31 pm
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Jaganmohini Devi DasiOn Nov. 28th, 2014, dis...
- By Radha Jivan DasAn initiated devotee of ISKCO...
- By Tribhuvanatha DasaDuring the Ratha yatra fes...
- By Urmila Devi Dasi"No Krsna rituals," my cousi...
- By Vaishanvanghri Sevaka Das “In the above char...
- By Vijaya DasaWSN October 2014 - World Sankirta...
- By Bhajahari dasEarlier in the day there was a ...
- By Navasi DasiAs devotees, we talk a lot about ...
- By Krsangi Radhe dasi The exciting new features...
- By Vraja Vilasa dasa Maharaja explained to the ...