Comments Posted By sharathramaraj
Displaying 1 To 2 Of 2 Comments
Dandavats to All Vaishnavas. Jaya Srila Prabhupada. Dandavats to BKG Maharaj
Traditionally in India women from respectable families do not take part in stage shows or public performances where their body is exposed. Even in plays where there are female roles, men will play the role of the females. This way the physical and mental integrity and chastity of everyone involved is protected. Women who do not adhere to such rules are considered “Society Women” which is a very mild term for a degraded lady. All those standards have degraded now.
I have seen ISKCON temple drama performances where women played the role of men to avoid unwanted interaction in such scenes. This is commendable and also within “contemporary practical” boundaries. In such Dramas the women playing the roles of both genders were well covered in terms of dress. Such a standard can be adopted where the traditional way is not practical.
The second point about ladies dancing in Harinamas is also to be noted for
1. Dancing in such a way as to attract attention
2. Improper attire (I have seen this at Ratha Yatra Harinams involving the youth groups/ bus tours). Many young ladies / Matajis, many even born in the movement wear their sarees way below their navel. That shows a very basic lack of cultural training bordering on indecency. That is definitely not helping to establish Iskcon as a moral spiritual authority but we have problems enforcing a high standard of decency among the youth in our society.
The Rasa Lila is not for cheap stage performances or PhD theses or Book publications. We are sending a message of cheap romance if we continue with this trend. It is meant for self realized persons to enter and relish the highest transcendental pastimes of Krishna. It is not meant for a naive and unqualified audience who are still attached to Samsara.
To do a public drama with women in Rasa Lila is an insult to Rasa Lila and the women’s family. We are facilitating offenses towards this highest Lila and to Krishna himself by continuing with this trend.
» Posted By sharathramaraj On Dec 10, 2007 @ 7:13 pm
«« Back To Stats Page
We do have regular/ weekly preaching and chanting programs in Charlotte. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing fom you.
» Posted By sharathramaraj On May 29, 2007 @ 1:10 am
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By Govardhana Seva dasaJue is scheduled to rece...
- By Mandakini devi dasi In 1981, Venu teamed up ...
- By Mijal ZagierThesis for the 6 week documentar...
- By Giriraj SwamiSaturday night we performed har...
- By Nitya-priya Devi DasiSrila Prabhupada envisi...
- By E. BondarThe way we answer this question wil...
- By Vrajendra Kumar DasThis one hour long extrao...
- By thehindu.comSinya Ejima, chief representativ...
- By Bernard Wilchusky"Chanting clears the mind; ...
- By Sukhada dasiOn August 23rd, 2014, when the t...