A Royal Meeting
By Radha Mohan Das
On 15th February Sutapa das brahmacari had the opportunity to meet Her Majesty The Queen and the Archbishop of Canterbury. A multi-faith reception was held at Lambeth Palace in London; one of the first public engagements to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee year. The event was attended by representatives from the Christian, Baha’i, Buddhist, Hindu, Jain, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, and Zoroastrian communities. It was an opportunity to pay tribute to the spiritual contribution of all religions in the UK, and to show continued support for the free practice of faith in the country.
The Queen expressed how spiritual traditions provide critical guidance for the way we live our lives, and for the way in which we treat each other. She underlined how the lives of great teachers remind us of the responsibilities we have beyond ourselves. As Sutapa das spoke to the leaders of various denominations, our discussions revolved around making spirituality applicable and dynamic in the modern context. In an age of growing secularism, there are doubts about the necessity of spirituality as an integral part of a vibrant society.
Amidst a tide of skepticism, spiritual practitioners have an incredible responsibility to share their teachings with greater acumen and astuteness. Through rationality, logic and common sense, they have to reveal the synthesis between science and spirituality, and firmly establish that metaphysical phenomena can be grounded in reason and argument. Through cooperation, appreciation and loving relationships, they have to demonstrate that genuine spirituality builds bridges, serves society in times of need, and promotes peace and unity. Through sagacity and dialogue, ancient traditions must offer cutting edge spiritual solutions to the problems of the modern world – solutions which are universally applicable, long lasting and free from detrimental side effects. Most essential, is to educate and inspire people to recognize that spirituality is more than a Sunday ritual, but rather an offer of worldviews, values, and spiritual practices which drive our daily functioning and journey within this world.
- About Us
- Alachua Temple Live Podcast
- Articles by authors
- Comments by author
- Contact us
- Donate through searching
- Founder Acarya
- Incoming Links
- Iskcon News TV Channel
- Iskcon Radio stations
- Iskcon Universe Feed
- Jaya Srila Prabhupada!
- Krishna conscious “youtube”
- Krishna Conscious Media
- Last 50 comments
- Most commented articles
- Most read articles
- New Dwaraka Archived Lectures
- Temple webcams
- The last seven days most read articles
- By thehindu.comSinya Ejima, chief representativ...
- By Bernard Wilchusky"Chanting clears the mind; ...
- By Sukhada dasiOn August 23rd, 2014, when the t...
- By Dandadhrk Das We were twenty participants as...
- By Madhava DasShri Manoj Tiwari famous singer, ...
- By Radhanatha Swami Love is not to want peace b...
- By Niranjana Swami My name is Omvati Devi Dasi,...
- By Harideva Dasa “So at the time of death… Of c...
- By Iskcon NairobiThe University Program in Nair...
- By Vaishnavangri Sevaka Das "Oh! Fiftieth ISKCO...